The National Waste Management Strategy (NWMS) is a strategic instrument which provides government policy and interventions for the waste sector and an enabling environment for implementing the 2017 Chemicals and Waste projects. It is a satisfactory requirement of the Waste Act. The NWMS adopted in 2020 revises and updates the NWMS of 2011.
The Strategy is based upon the following five key principles:
1. Waste Minimization;
2. Waste Prevention;
3. Waste as a Resource;
4. Sustainable Strategic Partnerships;
5. Environmentally sound socioeconomic growth and development,
6. Effective and Sustainable Waste Services and Compliance, enforcement and Awareness, improving consumer awareness and standards on waste disposal and waste management.
These are the expected outcomes:
1. Prevent waste, and where waste cannot be prevented, ensure the progressive reduction of diversion of waste to landfill;
2. Mainstreaming of waste awareness and a culture of compliance resulting in zero tolerance of pollution, litter and illegal dumping.
How we can manage our waste efficiently has been a global concern. Thankfully, the industries and organizations are beginning to understand the benefits of waste recycling and waste management.
When waste is not disposed properly, it can cost a great loss. But when these waste are disposed properly it can increase the environment, economic and organizations.
These guidelines below can help industry and organization achieve an effective waste management strategy.
Guidelines for Effective Waste Management Strategy
1. Choose the right people
Whatever you want to achieve, you need a qualified group of people to do it, the first thing you are expected to do is to find the right people for the work inside or outside your organization to take up the task of waste management system.
After getting the right people, you can call on us to help you in your development, setup and implementation.
There’s no one who is very good at the work if not you, so the next thing to do, is to find professionals that are able to provide support systems.
2. Conduct a waste examination
A waste examination helps you to know and determine the amount and type of waste that are generated in your organization.
It will also help you to know the areas where waste management is supposed to be improved. You can conduct this examination yourself or assign the right people/team you have gotten.
In the process of this examination, it is important to be careful while collecting the data in order to get an accurate result.
Waste examination helps you to proffer an effective solution for your waste management strategy which helps your business and economic.
3. Create a waste policy
When you make a good waste policy, it serves as a guide to your organization and make it fruitful. Make a simple, fair and transparent waste policy According to the nature of your organization waste management requirements.
It will be wise to involve your staff to make this policy active. You can assign some people and leadership posts, to ensure that these policies are well followed.
4. Train your staff
Create a workshop that can help train your staffs and make them aware of the industrial waste management strategy. Educating and training your staffs will go a long way.
Conduct an employee orientation and safety sessions which are beneficial to your waste management goals. If your employees are well-trained about your waste management, even in your absence, you are sure to achieve an effective waste management strategy.
5. Focus on an accurate waste separation
Waste separation is a very important part of waste management. It is very crucial to know what can be reused, what can be recycled and what cannot be recycled.
This will save your organization’s time and money involved in sending waste to the landfills and incinerator.
Waste recycling is very important, both environmentally and economically. Presently, most businesses have taken up the habit of recycling their waste.
6. Make everybody active
Ensure you involve both the internal and external stakeholders in your waste management program. Improve and promote your aims and objectives for waste recycling and reduction in your field.
Educate your customers to minimize waste and ensure consistent practice of waste management.
Develop a strong relationship and partnership with governments and local bodies for effective waste management strategy.
7. Set targets
Ensure you set your targets, your targets includes times, costs or figures pertaining to different waste options. This will help you to produce reports that can help you improve and achieve your goals.
Basic Goals of this Strategies
1. To improve education, awareness and technical understanding of the best practices of waste management.
2. Encourage a good regional relationship to improve the waste management infrastructure effectiveness.
3. To provide a flexible regulatory system for waste disposal and management.
4. Enhance invention and innovation of sustainable solutions to manage waste.
5. To show the involvement of government in waste management.
6. Increase the act of reusing, recycling, recovery and alternative waste treatment
7. Minimizing the impact of waste and especially plastic packaging in national coasts, rivers, wetlands and human settlement environments, by amongst others, diverting waste away from landfill and also reduce the environmental impact of economic activity by reusing and recycling processed materials to minimize waste.
8. Developing and implementing a strategy for reducing food losses and waste prior to retail and that is associated with harvesting, processing and transport of food with food producers and retailers.
9. They need to dispose waste effectively.
Have you visited our Market Place Today? Follow this link to visit WealthinWastes.com Market Place now to check out our affordable products & services that might interest you and solve your current needs at a very cheap price. You can also Advertise your Own Products & Services at the Market Place for Free by clicking on this link to Get Started!
Create a thread for all your related questions to get answers from other members and professionals in the field. Click here on the “Questions & Answers” Section to view or submit your Questions or Answers to previously asked related questions.