Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is a subgroup of solid waste commonly found in Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) as well as in wastewater streams. As the name implies, these special wastes originate from households.
HHW are any household wastes, which are generated from the disposal of substances identified as hazardous household substances including, but not limited to the following listed waste sources and types:
1. Repair and Remodeling wastes including: adhesives, glues, cements, roof coatings and sealants, epoxy resins, solvent based paints, solvents, painter removers and strippers.
2. Cleaning Agent wastes including: ovencleaners; degreasers and spot removers; septic cleaners; polishes, waxes, and strippers;solvent cleaning fluids.
3. Pesticide wastes including: insecticides, fungicides, rodenticides, molluscides, wood preservatives, moss retardants and chemical removers, herbicides, and fertilizers containing pesticides.
4. Automotive maintenance wastes including: batteries, waxes and cleaners, paints, solvents, cleaners, additives, gasoline, flushes, auto repair materials, motor oil, diesel fuel, and antifreeze,
5. Hobby and recreation wastes including: paints, solvents, photo chemicals, pool chemicals, glues, adhesives and cements, inks, dyes, chemistry sets, pressurized gas containers and household batteries.
6. Other household wastes including: ammunition, asbestos, fireworks, and any other household wastes identified as moderate-risk waste in the planning area’s local hazardous waste plan.
In conclusion, the management of hazardous waste requires high degree of knowledge over very broad technical and legal area. Hazardous wastes are diverse with compositions and properties that not only vary significantly from one industry to another but within the industries and indeed the household.
Read Also : Sources and Classification of Hazardous Waste
Proper management therefore requires understanding the numerous and complex regulations governing the hazardous waste streams and knowledge of the treatment and waste minimization technologies.
Do you have any questions, suggestions, or other contributions? Kindly use the comment box provided below for all your contributions. You are also encouraged to please kindly share this article with others you feel can benefit from this information if found useful enough as we may not be able to reach everyone at the same time. Thank you so much for sharing!
Have you visited our Market Place Today? Follow this link to visit Agric4profits.com Market Place now to check out our affordable products & services that might interest you and solve your current needs at a very cheap price.